Drive Systems & Solutions
VSD on Conveyor Applications
Staro has completed various VSD installations for different Conveyor applications. This includes the installation of both the PowerFlex700 as well as the PowerFlex750 range. Depending on the specific Conveyor specifications a custom design will be done in order to meet customer needs and specifications.
This design will consider the following aspects:
- VSD Load sharing. Where there is a need for multiple electrical motors on a single Conveyor (this is typical for long Conveyors) the design will allow for one VSD per motor. These VSD’s will then be configured to operate in such a way that the load is equally shared between the various motors. Also better known as a Master / Slave configuration.
- Closed or Open Loop feedback. Depending on the customer specifications and also the environment in which the motors are installed the VSD can be configured for either open loop or closed loop control. In a closed loop system an encoder will be installed on the motor shaft in order to give position feedback to the VSD.
- Networks. The PowerFlex700 and PowerFlex750 VSD’s have various networking capabilities such as Ethernet I/P, DeviceNet and ControlNet.
This allows for a smooth integration with the Allen Bradley range of PLC’s. Completed installations include industries such as Coal and Gold Mining, Oil & Gas and Metals to name a few.
VSD on Mill Applications
Staro supplied and implemented numerous uniquely configured and highly effective low voltage AC variable speed drive (VSD) product solutions. These projects were done for one of the country’s major steel producers in their bar mill and rod mill production units. Together with this the control system was upgraded from PLC5 to the latest ControlLogix platform.
One such a project involved a DC to AC retrofit upgrade on an existing line, a high performance Allen-Bradley PowerFlex® drive and active front end (AFE) system, consisting of Allen-Bradley PowerFlex® 700AFE® units, a regenerative DC bus, was installed to supply DC power to a line-up of highly functional, cost-effective Allen-Bradley PowerFlex® 755 AC drives with common DC bus input driving the intermediate mill stands at 400kW each.
To top all things off all HMIs and SCADA systems were replaced by the latest Factory Talk supervisory edition and Panelview plus6 units
Medium Voltage Soft Starters
SMC Flex Medium Voltage soft starters have been installed in numerous applications, such as fans and pumps. Not only is Staro capable of designing and installing such a system, but is also certified by Rockwell Automation to commission this type of equipment.
Successful installations include steel, mining and water industries.
DC Drive Applications
The Allen-Bradley DC Drives have been successfully installed in all of the below mentioned applications:
Steel Galvanizing Plant
- De-coilers and Re-coilers (Tension controllers),
- Bridles, Pinch Rolls (Speed Controllers)
Rod and Barmill
- Flying shear (Position control)
- Electro Magnets (Current controller)
- Screwdown (Master/Slave Position Control)