Product Notice 2017-08-001 – Compact GuardLogix and Armor Compact GuardLogix Controller May Fault on Power Up
This Product Notice informs you of a potential anomaly that exists with the Compact GuardLogix® 5370 and Armor™ Compact GuardLogix 5370 controllers. Affected controllers may not power up or may fault on power up.
The affected products are Compact GuardLogix and Armor Compact GuardLogix 5370 controllers manufactured from October 1, 2016 (date code 2016/10/01) through July 17, 2017 (date code 2017/07/17). Catalog numbers are:
Product identification information may be found on the product nameplate. The catalog number will be in the CAT field and the date code will be in the DATE field in the format of YYYY/MM/DD where YYYY is the year, MM is the month code, and DD is the day of the month. [Refer to the attached PDF documents for example images.]
For unopened product, product identification information may be found on the product carton label. The catalog number will be in the CAT field and the date code will be in the DATE field in the format of YYYY/MM/DD where YYYY is the year, MM is the month code, and DD is the day of the month. [Refer to the attached PDF documents for example images.]
Product with a manufacturing date within the affected date range that has been factory updated for this anomaly will be identified with a small label near the product nameplate and carton label containing this Product Notice number PN 2017 08 001. If your product has this label it is not affected by this anomaly and no action is required on your part. [Refer to the attached PDF documents for example images.]
A potential anomaly exists with the Compact GuardLogix 5370 and Armor Compact GuardLogix 5370 controllers. During power up an affected controller may fault with the controller in one of the following states:
- The OK led solid red and the SFTY OK led solid red.
- The OK led solid red and the SFTY OK led blinking red.
- The OK led solid red and the SFTY OK led solid green.
- The OK led solid green and the SFTY OK led solid red.
- The OK led solid green and the SFTY OK led blinking red.
When this occurs the controller may need to be power cycled several times for the controller to power up correctly. When it does power up the following Major Faults may be logged:
- Type 1 Code 60, Type 1 Code 61, and Type 1 Code 62. Generic Major Non-Recoverable Fault (MNRF).
- Type 14 Code 3, Type 14 Code 7, and Type 14 Code 9. Safety Fault.
The controller may power up with no faults logged. When the controller does power up it may or may not have the application still loaded.
No temporary workaround has been identified. You may power cycle the controller until it powers up successfully, but on subsequent power cycles it may not power up correctly.
Important – A Major Non-Recoverable Fault (MNRF) may be caused by conditions other than those listed in this notification. If the conditions of your MNRF are not consistent with the power up conditions listed here, we advise you contact Rockwell Automation Technical Support for guidance before replacing your controller. Reference this Product Notice PN 2017-08-001 when requesting support.
Rockwell Automation will replace or repair your controller at no cost to you. If your controller is affected by this anomaly and matches the product identification information you may return your controller for replacement or you may ask to have your controller repaired. Contact your Rockwell Automation Distributor or Sales Office, or original place of purchase, to request product replacement or repair. Reference this Product Notice PN 2017-08-001 when making your request.
- Opened and used product may be returned for exchange / replacement or may be returned for repair. Customers requesting exchange / replacement or repair should back up their application data and keep the controller’s SD memory card for use in the replaced or repaired product.
- Unopened product may be returned for credit. Unopened product must be returned with factory seals intact to ensure proper credit. Customers may be asked to submit a new purchase order for replacement material.
REQUESTED CUSTOMER ACTION
Rockwell Automation requests you take the following actions:
- Check if you have a product affected by this Product Notice. Refer to the Product Identification and Description sections of this document for product identification assistance.
- If applicable, contact your local Rockwell Automation Distributor or Sales Office, or original place of purchase, for repair or replacement. Make sure to reference this Product Notice PN 2017-08-001 when requesting replacement product. Rockwell Automation will accept requests for repair or replacement product for a period of 18 months from the initial publication of this Product Notice.
- All returns should be over packed to prevent shipping damage during transit.
- Continue to check incoming shipments for potentially affected product. Product in transit or in non-Rockwell Automation inventory may continue to contain potentially affected product for a period of time after the publication of this document.
- If you need additional assistance, please contact Rockwell Automation Technical Support. See Appendix A for local telephone numbers. Customers without TechConnect contracts should reference this Product Notice when calling.
- Customers with TechConnect contracts may be able to chat online with support representatives. Reference this Product Notice when connected to a support engineer.